Sunday, September 25, 2011

End Zone Celebrations: From Beginning to End?



I’m not an expert. I can’t even claim to be a fan of any particular team in the NFL. For five months out of the year however, I am an observer of football, like it or not. Somewhat grudgingly over the years, I’ve come to realize that I do actually like it. I enjoy the familiar drone of the announcers, the roar of the crowds, the red-faced coaches gesturing from the sidelines, the amazing edge-of-your-seat-hold-your-breath fifty-yard passes and oh yeah… the touchdown celebrations.





In recent years the NFL has begun closely scrutinizing and regulating what many feel are “excessive celebrations”. Today, individual players may be fined or even suspended and teams are penalized (15 yards on the next kickoff). In an age of celebrity athletes and media saturation, there are certainly instances of unnecessary taunting, individual showboating and circus-like distractions.  




For the most part however, this tradition has always been all in good fun; a means for an individual-or entire groups at times-to celebrate their team’s accomplishment with a little jig, a shuffle, or an impressive rendition of the Riverdance.

   

                                                                                                   
                                                                                      
As a casual observer of all of this hoopla over end zone celebrations, I find myself considering at times whether football has lost its fun. Have owners lost their sense of humor or have players lost their minds? Has the NFL alienated its fans? What happened to just spiking the ball? And who started all this? Over the course of the next several weeks stay tuned as I highlight the evolution of the end zone celebration.   

    





     

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This girl is the next Bob Costas! Great blog. I think you might dig the band Copyright Infringement. I hear Mike is still the guitarist. I have read millions of blogs but this is the best one so far. Keep up the good work. JZA.

    ReplyDelete